Some people are afraid of potatoes. What’s the good reason why? Potatoes are everywhere. Even fries are made up of potatoes, and we love them! Restaurants pair it with fish to complete a whole fish and chips meal- and we love it!
Some people don’t like eating in Fish and Chips restaurants because they think it’s already double jeopardy: potatoes... and they’re deep fried. But what if it’s deep fried? If the oil used is trans fat free, then that’s fine.
General Tips for Preparing Potatoes
Potatoes are not supposed to be peeled. The peel has a lot of goodness in it. Of course, to get them cleaned, just rub them under running water until they’re dirt-free.
|Photo credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/dangermain/228653345/|
The Goodness of Potatoes
You may have your own recipe in preparing potatoes: baked, fried, grilled, mash, etx. And you may have stopped doing those because you’ve heard that potatoes can be bad if you’re in diet. They’re not. If, however, you eat a lot of potatoes, then that’s a different thing.
What You Get
Vitamin C does all these:
- Helps in collagen production
- Aids iron absorption
- Helps heal wounds
- Makes your gums healthier
- Stabilizes free radicals
- Prevents cellular damage
- Contributes to a healthy weight loss
- Helps you feel that you’re full for a longer period of time
- May contribute to a lower blood cholesterol
- Helps in carrying oxygen to all the parts of the body
- Assists in overall cell function in the body
- It helps the body create nonessential amino acids, which plays an important role in protein and carbohydrates metabolism.
- Needed for the synthesis of hemoglobin.
- Helps in muscle contraction
- Helps transmit signals or nerve impulses
- One big factor that contributes to a normal blood pressure.
Do you see now why potatoes are oh-so-good? Don’t be afraid. Just as long as you don’t eat potatoes 3 times a day, every day, you’ll be fine. Just remember our lesson of moderation and variety.
How you prepare the potatoes matters a lot. If you pair it with mayo, you might regret it. Mayo can still be good. Just read its label. Go for mayos with less fat. A skimmed milk or any low-fat spread can be good enough. And if you’re frying, olive oil is your dearest friend!
So, what are you waiting for? Bon appétit!